Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Urban Dog Living - Dog I.D.

Now that you have your dog license - you can add more jingle to your dog with an identification tag.   Every dog should have a tag on its collar to identify who owns it.  Your dog should wear a collar or harness with it's dog license, dog park tag (for DC dogs) and ID tag.  

Contrary to popular belief your dog tag shouldn't have your dog's name on it.  Dewey at ezusigns.com puts in in perspective:
"My view is that if my dog gets lost and is found by a stranger, I want to be notified immediately.  Therefore, I want my phone number on the tag and if I'm away from home, possibly my cell phone number.  For the stranger to know generally where I'm from, I'll include my city and state, and my last name so I can be addressed on the phone.  I won't put my dog's name on the tag as I don't want it to be easier to control him."

I totally agree with his statement.  With a informative tag your dog can be reunited with you quicker.

Tags can be lost, collars can fall off.   My dog has lost 3 sets of tags, and 1 whole collar.   As a back up I have had him microchipped.  There are several companies that provide microchips.  The chip itself is about the size of a grain of rice and is injected under the skin, between the shoulder blades.  This can be done at the humane society or at the vet for a nominal fee.  Avid, HomeAgain, and Petlink are just a few companies that provide tracking services.

Tip for the Day:
Check that you have all the tags necessary for your dog.   Find out if your dog has a microchip (most rescue organizations will put one in the dog before he is adopted out)  Make sure the contact information on the tags and microchip is up to date to ensure you are reunited with your dog should the worst occur.

No comments:

Post a Comment